In the heart of this thriving market town and enjoying sweeping south facing views over this historic area, a truly elegant grade 2 listed SEMI-DETACHED Georgian house affording exceptionally spacious accommodation which has been tastefully and lovingly restored to provide a classic period house.
Standing adjacent to the very impressive parish Church and enjoying open southerly views over the town and the countryside beyond, this elegant period house can be traced back to a more humble dwelling which was gifted to the community in 1466. Substantially altered and extended over the years the current house was remodelled in the early 1800's and it now affords the architectural features, size and high ceilings associated with the Georgian era. Tastefully restored, the house has a wealth of original features including a mosaic tiled reception hall, deep moulded skirting, coved ceilings, sash windows with working shutters to many of the principle rooms, ornate marble and cast iron fireplaces, a magnificent staircase with an expansive quarter landing, and a row of brick arches under the conservatory which were built to support the original conservatory and based on a design for a peachery built in Kew Gardens in the 1840's.
In immaculate order and tastefully upgraded the accommodation is in excellent decorative order and improvements include gas central heating with under floor heating to the very impressive 3 main rooms. There is a cloakroom and office a period kitchen with quality units, granite surfaces, a slate floor, and integrated appliances. Adjacent to the kitchen is a stunning 34ft x 10ft double glazed timber conservatory with a slate floor and additional ornate glass doors into the Sitting room. Also off the kitchen there is large utility room with access to a rear hall and the courtyard.
On the first floor there is a master bedroom with an en-suite, three very generous double bedrooms and a fifth bedroom which has been converted to a dressing room with quality units. Also on this floor there is a wc and a large family bathroom with a 4 piece suite and a shower. From the main landing there is a door and stairs to a second floor office and study.
Outside there is a delightful walled garden with a summer house a large paved area interspersed with well stocked ornamental beds and a large level lawn and patio which are positioned to take full advantage of the daytime and evening sun. In addition there is a very pretty fully enclosed and cobbled courtyard with a store, wc and a door to the street. In superb order and this must be one of the finest period houses in town and a full inspection is essential.
The owner currently has a parking space through the church, permission would be needed to carry this on.
The House is within easy reach of excellent local amenities which include a Sainsbury's supermarket, various shops, pubs and restaurants, a post office, bank, a health centre, a public park with a swimming pool and tennis courts, and schools for all age ranges including a nearby comprehensive school which has a good Ofsted report. Popular for its specialist shops and twice weekly market, the town stands just off the A361 (North Devon link road) which provides a quick route to the regional centre of Barnstaple (12 miles) and the M5 and national rail links at Tiverton. Within easy driving distance of Exmoor and the popular North Devon coast, the area offers a wide range of outdoor pursuits including horse riding, cycling, golf and fishing.